Thursday, January 18, 2007

Closing up shop

Whew - the reality has finally hit me - in one week I should be totally cleared out of the house and finished with closing. Lots of stuff still to get rid of - and lots of folks coming by this weekend (my last in Ohio?) to lay claim to dribs and drabs of furniture, to buy tools and ladders and the canoe, drink some beer, and score whatever freebies (most everything) I have lying around. Then on Monday my brothers Ken, and perhaps David, show up to help me haul the remainders of furnishings, clothing and building supplies to Goodwill or Habitat for Humanity -- and whatever I'm keeping for down the road they will take back to Baltimore for storage in David's nice dry basement. Clearing out like this has been a fantasy of mine for quite awhile - although it has been painful to let go of most of my books. Most everything else has felt expendable. And Nico - my constant companion since May of 2003 - what would I have done without her? - will most likely be off to Baltimore to live with her human Uncle Ken, her canine cousins Max & Thor, and the omnipresent ghost of Badger.

If things go as planned (yes, just cursed myself) I will close Friday morning the 26th, take my check straight to the Credit Union to deposit, say goodbye to Dayton and Yellow Springs and hit the road to Baltimore via Elkins WV where I'll visit old friends for a night or two. My son Joey has little hope that my '91 Subaru (238K) will stand the trip, but I have complete faith in her. No doubts whatsoever . . . about anything.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Roger...

All those classes with "You Know Who"..."Conoces quien" if my espanol is holding up, are going to be worth it buddy! Like I told you a few weeks back when we were sucking down beers at the campfire at our farm...It's a pretty cool thing that you are doing. I also mentioned that there would be cold beers in the fridge when you get back and come out to share your stories.

Enjoy the adventure of a lifetime and make a difference in those peoples lives...

Take Care & Be Safe!

Hasta Luega, Nos Vemos mi amigo...

Colin & Lori